Stuart didn’t take off until 1912, when Harry C. Feroe came
to town with C.C. Chillingworth, who developed Palm City.
Feroe built the St. Lucie Hotel, then purchased land and
platted the Feroe Subdivision between Flagler and Osceola
avenues. This is the center of Historic Downtown Stuart.
Feroe donated a building lot for
the community’s first bank, and he
built the Feroe Building. Housing
the Stuart Drug Store and the Stuart
post office, it became the hub of
A new FEC passenger depot was
constructed just outside the post
office door, and going for mail soon
after it arrived by train became a
daily social event. The railway depot
was demolished after the FEC
discontinued passenger service in
the 1960s, but the Feroe Building
stands today as law offices.
In the early 1920s, Stuart was
possessed, like the rest of Florida,
with boom-time frenzy. The town
did not want to be left behind, so
it hired George W. Maher, a renowned
city planner from Chicago,
to draw up a city plan. Ironically, it
shows a fountain very near where
Geoffrey Smith’s sailfish fountain stands today.
In 1925, Flagler Avenue was widened and the buildings that
were in line with Walter Kitching’s store were moved back
40 feet or razed. The Peacock Arcade was constructed where
Stuart City Hall stands today and was aligned with the Feroe
Building and the New Lyric Theatre, which was built in 1926.
FLORA ILLUMINA, INC.
Fine Art Floral Photographs
Prints • Note Cards • Tiles
Call or e-mail to inquire about Flora Illumina
photography of your gardens and flowers
Harry C. Feroe donated land for Stuart’s first bank, the Bank of Stuart, shown in this 1916 photo, and built
the Feroe Building, which housed the Stuart Drug Store and Stuart post office.