HOMES OF THE TREASURE COAST
PROPERTY CHANGED OWNERS
In 1928, Fort Pierce Bank foreclosed on the property and it
was vacant until 'r. T. &hiͿenden bought it in 191 and built
the aboveground swimming pool that is recognized under
architectural signiÀcance as ´an uniTue structure and one of
the oldest eamples of its type in ,ndian 5iver &ounty, it
retains its architectural integrity to a high degree. 5aised high
above the surrounding grade, it has unusual presence com
pounded by a formal entrance loggia that includes changing
rooms.µ According to the declaration, &hiͿenden discontin
ued its use as a nightclub.
Wealthy ,llinois 5ealtor +elen 3ollock bought and kept the
property as her residence until she sold it in 1946 to Gerard
Tameling -r., a broker specializing in sugar industries and
trading. Among other inherited business ventures, he would
open a realty company in 9ero Beach.
'ayton·s parents, 5ichard and ,sabelle Buettell, bought the
property in 191 and lived there for years until selling oͿ
all but a small parcel east of the original estate. Today, a wall
separates two sides of the property from a singlefamily de
velopment that was built to the north and west atop former
´The house is among the largest and best preserved
eamples of 0editerranean 5evival style in ,ndian 5iver
&ounty...,µ the declaration says. ´The house retains a high
degree of original architectural integrity. An unusual contrib
uting swimming pool possessing special architectural merit
and a citrus grove add uniTue charm and ambiance to the
property,µ the declaration concluded.
The spacious master bedroom
has the original Dade County
WiUL ÅVVrs. 7rLiV\s V^ULrs HKKLK H lHrNL VffiJL s\iL VUV hL hV\sL.